Thursday 6 September 2012

The Painful Predicament of the Plus-size!!

Time for some frankness here to you all. Sometimes being a curvy woman just sucks-balls to put it perfectly simply! 
How is it that in the UK the average sized woman in 2012 is a size 16 and yet in many shops the 'large' is to a size 14 frame with an XL not always being available ( most often not). Even with many stores on-line, the sizing only goes up to a size 14 and on the occasion when 16 is available the measurements seem to be slightly smaller then they should. with plus-sized websites selling clothes from size 14+ although that is actually BELOW the average. what is that telling girls out there?!
In fact, If size 16 is the average then wouldn't that make clothing stores selling size 14's as their largest size ridiculous as then many women are having difficulties finding clothes. In fact it would be really nice if next time I go shopping there aren't only clothes on the wrack that would take 3 people to get over my cleavage then never come off again... or  skirts big enough for ONE of my legs to fit in ( okay so maybe I'm over-exaggerating my size by RATHER a lot but that is how you're left to feel sometimes and that much is very true!)
Even more ridiculous then that is how in some shops you can be a size 12 whilst you then go straight to another shop and you're suddenly a size 18... well that certainly is brilliant for the womens' dwindling self esteem.. not so much.
To me this really doesn't make much sense! Even in a financial way!
I'm a size 16/18 from a modest size 12 after putting on FAR TOO MUCH weight after a stressful last couple of years ( I won't go into my own personal sob story of a life for you though :P). Ouch! 
Now my life is finally starting to get back on track and my brand-new cross-trainer is getting a lot of use but I've not yet gotten to a size-dropping stage yet and in some serious need, and want, of new clothes with my very dated wardrobe.
I've never been one to completely follow trends, stealing bits and pieces here and there and making it my own but I've found SO MANY items on-line recently that I've fallen in love with and so many of them are just ever so slightly not in my reach! To be honest I don't mind buying clothes now then losing weight and them being too big because I like loose fitting blouses and cardi's and tops that can then double as 'dresses' etc but right now I don't even want to buy the items yet with my just-in-case attitude that my weight might not come off as easily as I hope.

 Boohoo.com, for instance, is a very popular online clothing site which sells clothing to size 16 and sometimes these are a loose fit and so fit my frame too but sometimes they don't and, with 16 being the average size I would think that a size 18 would naturally be available too.
Perhaps this is all coming from a woman scorned- not able to shop and lots of people think just shut-up and lose some weight but it's not just me I'm thinking of here too.
I'm on my way to a new healthier me and fairly confident that in a month or two I will have lost a dress size and be a 14/16 but that doesn't stop me feeling upset for other girls out there made to feel against the norm when shopping, even though they are the average size.

Luckily shoe's aren't so discriminating and perhaps that's why I've started to fall in love with them ( although barely able to afford any). Platform, chunky wedges are definitely my new love for 2012 and one that, it think, is going to stick with me for a very long time. but I can't curb my shopping desires through shoes alone!

It's strange that I've never been one to LOVE shopping and I'm certainly not much of a trend-follower. Finding that so often I'll wear something for years then just as I move onto something new then my old item ( whether it be the style, colour etc) is suddenly' trendy'. 
Now I just create my own trends and hope that some people out there enjoy them too!

For now though

Love Always,
Luciie Panda
xXx


No comments:

Post a Comment