Monday 21 May 2012

Feature: Tibetan Turquoise, musings and fortunes



      Today has been a simple day but the shining sun has put everyone in a good mood and the calming feeling of impending summer holidays overtook. Unfortunately in my case it seems to year of sun living in Pakistan, Africa and spending childhood summers in Turkey seem to have turned me into a somewhat modern Vampire, minus the blood and gore of course. You may unfortunately find me hissing at the sun though occasionally as I frantically try to get into shade and avoid tanning at any costs.

So today my minds really taken me in the mood of a Feature. I knew I'd do one eventually so why get right to it!

  Recently I've become OBSESSED with Tibetan jewellery, in particular Turquoise jewellery. Turquoise is in fact my favourite colour- there's no doubt about it. Even when shopping I will instinctively get drawn to the turquoise items before my eyes have even adjusted to what else is on offer so much so that my poor poor boyfriend now instinctively picks out turquoise clothing in any shop I go into and brings them over to me so as not to even waste his time pretending to look at other clothes first.

Whilst searching excitedly across the web for Tibetan fashion the last month or so for my college photography project I came across these photographs. There's something so edgy about the colours of the clothing in contrast to the backgrounds whilst the models' pose in the Image directly below is awkward and broken-down in the gorgeously dramatic way that I love, even if her face does slightly make me think she's having bowel movement issues rather then just struggling to pull a yak.


Tibetan clothing -pulling Yak
Photograph: Nicoline Patricia Malina
Stylist: Michael Pondaag
Magazine: Harper's Bazaar Indonesia






tibetturquoise jewellery tibetan- tibet 

I'd actually not intended as such to go for any sort of Tibetan theme or anything when coming across the jewellery I bought. In fact I was just trying to find some beautiful jewellery I could use within my 'Exotique' photoshoots but I soon realised almost every single piece I fell in love with was tibetan styles. 


http://stores.ebay.co.uk/stunningturquoisesea - This is a saviour for a girl with no money and a love for turquoise and Tibetan jewellery ^-^ Sure the rings may turn your fingers green and rust will be a problem after a few months but fortunately i'm not the type of girl to turn down a bargain just because of green fingers and for photoshoot jewellery it was perfect!
turqoise and silver tibetan ring, cheapsilver and turquoise


This ring, I bought for £2.51! Of course it isn't top notch but for a couple of photo-shoots here and there when colour co-ordinating. It is perfect.
long beaded necklace that's turquoise, Tibetan
These two necklaces were bought from the same seller, both for under £5. Only the Bottom one was used in a photo-shoot as the other one didn't arrive in time but I prefer the above one. the way it mimics a dream catcher whilst still capturing the beauty of the Tibetan turquoise really gets my creative juices flowing, so to speak.

The necklace below is a Tibetan style Yak bone necklace that was bought from a seperate ebay seller to the first few items ( I'm going to admit right now that Ebay is my absolute SAVIOUR when it comes to my photography and trying to pull together clothing and accessories on a students budget) and I was so disappointed I didn't get to use it for a photo-shoot that I had in mind. I'd been drawing sketches of layered jewellery and clothings and colours but in the end it was just too much to put together in such a short deadline and so I still have it to do one day :) Perhaps some times I shall include my sketches for shoots on here too but in this case I'll refrain as they are VERY rough sketches and might make you wince and the lack of aesthetically pleasing elements within it.


I ALSO bought something, not at all to do with jewellery but that I was entranced by when I saw it and HAD to have it. I still have yet to use this snuff bottle in a photo-shoot but that's because I keep changing my mind about how to include it and don't want to let it down. I wish the below photograph did the colours justice of this beautiful item.
gold and turquoise snuff bottle

The last item I bought is another ring- this one I DID get to use within photo-shoots but not to be a statement piece, rather just as an accessory to otherwise exotic clothing too. Within my 'Exotique' project I have to admit I didn't use a lot of 'rhyme-and-reason'  when creating my photo-shoots as my main focus of the project was to work from inspiration of other artists' work etc. in my own personal style. I wish this weren't the case of how the course is marked but it is. It feels creatively stifling, suffocating my mind that runs away with me sometimes with what I want to do.

I suppose I should actually explain 'Exotique' In slightly more detail; This project was my Exam unit and so of course I had to choose one of the options from an exam booklet to work from. I chose Exotic because I knew I already had photographs taken within Turkey, Namibia, Pakistan etc and so after a short while brainstorming I realised I wanted to create a country themed exotic unit, containing different ethnic 'fashiontography' as I like to call it and lots of colour. I suppose before this unit I hadn't done an awful lot of fashion photography work even though I pine over the days when I can, fingers crossed, open up a magazine and see my images staring me right in the face.

I've also just opened a fortune cookie and feel like sharing the message with everyone because, though some may scoff, I still that the most exciting part about getting a chinese take-away is seeing what the fortune cookie has in store for you!


Love Always,
Luciie Panda
xXx

No comments:

Post a Comment